As I took a look back at my best looks from 2014, I’m reminded why the expression of our personal style is essential to our growth.
Friends, 2014 was pretty fantastic. It was a year of tremendous personal growth, filled with challenges, new friends, and supportive coworkers that helped to bring out the best in me. One of the best things about working for yourself is that because no two days are ever the same, you have the opportunity to challenge yourself in ways you could never imagine. It’s up to you, of course, if you rise to that challenge or run away from it. I’ve done both this year, but turning into the fear was always the most satisfying. What does this have to do with style, you may be wondering, and I’m here to tell you that it has everything to do with style.
You see, style isn’t about what you can or cannot afford. It’s about creating the best possible version of yourself every day, no matter what you’re feeling. Sometimes we need to wear an elastic waist subtly disguised as faux leather leggings, and sometimes we need to wear a shirt with ‘fuck perfect’ printed across our chest. As I was scrolling through my archives to select my six favorite looks from the year, I could chart my style evolution as I began to spend more time with creative coworkers who brought out the best in me. I took more risks, experimented with clashing prints, and played with color. In short, 2014 was magical.
Take a walk down memory lane with my six favorite:
- Neapolitan Stripes: Winter pastels weave the promise of spring into the winter-weight fabrics like a bold lip on a rainy day. This coat instantly makes me smile!
- Black Magic: American Horror Story Coven continues to reign Supreme over all other style influences, pun intended. These were truly a few of my favorite things.
- Fashion Sweatshirts & Winter Woes: One of my first looks in 2014 and still one of my favorite casual pieces to wear, the Just My Size sweatshirt is still the greatest. Current collection count: 7.
- Proper Plaid: These photos were from a photoshoot I did with my coworkers for Racked’s Working It feature. I had professional hair & makeup help from my hair honey, Jennifer Brent. The photographer kept commenting how my look was so 90s, but I’d like to think it was quintessential me.
- Urban Jungle: I live in Bushwick, perhaps the most cliche neighborhood in Brooklyn, however the murals and art that lines the streets is unparalleled. This look wasn’t planned with this particular backdrop in mind, but I’m certainly glad it all worked out because a new piece has already popped up in its place.
- Perfect Doesn’t Exist: I’ve worn this shirt nearly to shreds, but the message still resonates the same. This year one of my resolutions is to be a little more shameless, which means that I’ll be buying another one ASAP.
Thank you so much for being here and sharing in this magical, well-documented journey of self discovery with me! What was your favorite look of 2014? If you’ve got a blog as well, share a link to it in the comments!