Flipping through the July issues, this Emma Stone Revlon ad totally caught my eye. Though the copper polish that she’s wearing is different from a lot of hot colors right now, it was her makeup that struck me the most. This look has a hazy late summer/early fall feeling with corals and cool browns that I reach for. Since my curiosity got the best of me and I had to find out what she was wearing, I thought you might like to know, too. Here’s how Emma’s look was created:
If you follow me on Twitter or happen to be within earshot of me on a Tuesday night, you might have clued in on the fact that I believe ABC Family’s hit show Pretty Little Liars has the best hair on television. The styles are full of body and texture, without looking untouchable or contrived. It’s Victoria’s Secret hair but better, if you can believe that.
Naturally, I turned to TRESemme’s Celebrity Stylist, Jeanie Syfu, to help give me the inside scoop on how to achieve the look at home. You might recognize her as the lead TRESemme stylist from Bravo’s The Fashion Show, or might have seen me swoon over her work at Narciso Rodriguez, Whitney Eve, Nicholas K and Tracy Reese during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week.
To create Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer‘s looks, Jeanie recommends:
With all these looks, always begin with a blow out and a volumizing product such as TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Foaming Mousse.
Step 1: Start with towel-dried hair and work the mousse evenly throughout hair – from roots to ends. If your hair is on the frizzy side, it will also need a smoothing serum to help seal the cuticle. Use a wide-toothed comb to help distribute this evenly. Make sure to work through the crown (interior) as well as the hairline and at the nape of the neck.
Step 2: Flip hair upside down and blow dry, using your fingers to rough dry the hair and work the product through
Step 3: Once hair is 85% dry, flip hair upright and begin round brushing your hair for maximum fullness (it helps to use a 2” – 3” round nylon/boar bristle brush)
Step 4: Using a clip, section hair, starting at the nape of the neck and working your way up, making sure to over direct the sections upward to create a lift at the root. A nozzle on your blow dryer will isolate the air where it’s needed and keep your blow out smooth
Once the blow out is done, there are many different approaches to creating this look. Click through the gallery below for Jeanie’s expert tips on achieving each character’s look.
Steal Her Style: Get Aria’s Look At Home
- To create a fuller look after curling, rough up the texture with a teasing brush. You can create volume at the crown/roots by sectioning off hair horizontally, starting from below the crown of the head.
- Lift sections upward and brush each section down towards the roots, which roughens up the cuticle and helps to create a foundation at the roots
- Lightly spray hair with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Finishing Spray and then flip your hair over, lightly brushing the surface and fingering through for a natural finish
Steal Her Style: Get Emily’s Look At Home
- For layered hair, try creating waves by sectioning hair and curling each section vertically with a 1” barrel curling iron, starting at the mid-length down to the ends
- Try to reverse each section so your waves aren’t going in the same direction, which will give the hair a more natural feel
- Leave the top section uncurled for a boho-feel, creating more volume through the length
- Flip hair over and run your fingers through to break up the waves, then finish off with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Finishing Spray
Steal Her Style: Get Hanna’s Look At Home
- For a tousled look, set hair with a double barrel curling iron, working the sections vertically. The larger the sections, the looser the wave!
- Grab random-sized sections throughout for a natural, undone texture and finish off the style with TRESemmé Fresh Start Dry Shampoo
Steal Her Style: Get Spencer’s Look At Home
- Using a 1 1/14” curling iron, create barrel curls starting at the top of the head, spraying each section with TRESemmé Thermal Creations Curl Activator Spray on each section to set the curls and protect hair from damage. A good tip is to start curling the hair at the mid-way through the lengths and work your way down from the ends This will ensure a stronger curl pattern
- Make sure to clip each section to cool
- Once down, brush out the curls for a soft finish and lock in the style with TRESemmé TRES Two Extra Hold Hairspray