One evening I received a panicked text from a blogger friend about to board a red-eye flight who was recognized by a reader while waiting at the gate. It’s wonderful to meet readers IRL, but my friend felt vulnerable because she’d been caught without any makeup on. The truth is, I can’t blame her. I don’t like to see anyone (outside of my FedEx & Seamless delivery people) without my face on, which is why I’ve created a set of safeguards when I travel affectionately known as my “in-flight skincare routine”. It’s really code for “how to wear a little makeup as possible while looking human and not destroying my skin at 30,000 feet”.
A lot of friends have asked me to share my routine & tips so without further ado, here’s my routine squeezed into a quart size bag:
- Rule #1: no ugly bags allowed. I received this printed bag from an event and I hang onto it for dear life. I cannot take out a boring, #basic Ziploc at security. My ego won’t allow it.
- Coverage is key. We all know the secret to ‘no makeup makeup’ is actually wearing makeup, but I still like to keep it low key. These days I’m loving Dr. Jart+’s Premium BB for medium coverage or Glossier’s Perfecting Skin Tint for something a bit more sheer.
- A hint of tint. A sheer tinted lip balm is the perfect in-flight lip. These days I’m obsessing over Tata Harper’s Lip Treatment. Another great multi-tasker is the Josie Maran Infinity Lip & Cheek Creamy Oil in Everlasting Honey.
- Take it all off. Once we’re in the air and the wifi is enabled, I like to take everything off. For my recent trip to Chicago, I took Josie Maran’s Bear Naked Wipes (a travel size).
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I love moisturizing masks any day, any time, but especially for flights because they’re usually colorless and invisible on the skin once they sink in. Most recently I’ve been turning to the Tata Harper Moisturizing Mask. I leave it until 30 minutes before we land, and I’ll remove it with another cleansing wipe.
- Lips & tips. All purpose balms are a core part of my daily hydration, but I can’t live without them in the air. Glossier’s Balm Dotcom has been in my bag every day for the past few weeks. Add it to lips, cuticles, and any dry patches often.
- Hands in. Hand cream is a total essential at all times, but I love the L’Occitane Hand Creams because they’re so darn portable. The fresh Cherry Blossom scent has helped me dream of spring even when it’s snowing out.
- Eye see you. I’m obsessive about eye cream, so I love deluxe sample sizes because I can take them anywhere. Lately I’ve been carrying Royal Fern’s Phytoactive Anti-Aging Eye Cream with me everywhere. It’s thin & moisturizing, but not intense, so you won’t risk adding additional luggage to your underyes.
- To conceal is real. When I start to put my makeup back on 30 minutes before we land, sometimes a new friend has magically appeared (aka a blemish) and I need some extra help. That’s where a great multi-tasking concealer comes in handy, like the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. I’ve even known folks who have used it as their foundation! Right now I’m using the shade Vanilla.
- Swish swish. Morning/coffee breath is no one’s friend, so a travel bottle is always necessary. I’ve been loving Colgate’s Total Advanced Pro Shield.
- Don’t forget the brows (like I did). I totally forgot to add my favorite brow pencil for this photo, but Stila’s Stay All Day Precision Glide Brow Pencil is my bff, but you already knew that.
- You must sunscreen. If you’re not thinking about sunscreen when you travel, you’re doing it wrong. It’s important to reapply a sunscreen before you land on your face and hands because going unprotected is just plain dumb (harsh, but true). This deluxe sample of Clarins UV Plus HP Day Screen High Protection has been great, because it doesn’t leave behind a greasy residue and sinks in quickly.
- Oil is everything. Sometimes your skin is just dry, and there’s no recovering. A drop of oil to your moisturizer (or in this case, tinted moisturizer) will add an extra boost of hydration that you so desperately need after a few hours in recycled air. The Sunday Riley oils are really great, and this sample of Artemis is the perfect size to fit into any bag. If you’ve got a static, in a pinch you could lightly run this over your locks.
This might seem a bit complex, but it all really comes down to taking the best care of my skin that I can while I’m in the air, and stepping off the plane looking fresh. It’s very rare that I have an opportunity to leisurely get to my hotel, take a relaxing bath and change for dinner. I usually have to hit the ground running to maximize my time, and that means maximizing all of my time.
If you have any in-flight skincare routine secrets to share, please leave them in the comments below!
My happy place – AKA the beauty level of Bergdorf Goodman – is having a mega gift with purchase event, so obviously I had to share all the details. With any beauty purchase of $225 or more through Sunday, June 29th, you’ll receive a beautiful black and silver makeup bag filled with samples of some old favorites and new brands to discover. Here’s what you’ll get:
- Amore Pacific Color Cushion Compact Broad Spectrum SPF 50 in 2 color samples
- Iluminage Youth Cell Concentrate
- Orlane Creme Bras Nus Refining Arm Cream
- Kiehl’s Creme de Corps (SO GOOD!)
- Jean Patou Joy Forever purse spray
- Aerin Rose Lip Conditioner
- Clarisonic Deep Pore Daily Cleanser
- Restorsea Revitalizing Scalp Treatment
- Bakel Thio-C
- Alterna Caviar CC Cream
- Sulwhasoo TimeTreasure Renovating Cream
- YSL Forever Youth Liberator
- Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask (I love!)
- Cle de Peau Beaute Synactif Soap
- Kate Somerville Somerville 360 Body Tan Towelette
- Napoleon Perdis Divine Goddess Lipstick
- Trish McEvoy High Volume Mascara
And to make hitting the gift with purchase threshold (be honest – you don’t really need my help), I’ve put together a few recommendations, plus some products that are totally piquing my interest. Let me know what is on your radar right now in the comments below. Beauty addicts unite!
Stop whatever you’re doing. Space NK has released their limited edition, one day only gift with purchase that you don’t want to miss. Today (September 12th) only receive this amazing gift (valued at over $350) with any $250 purchase. The GWP is available in stores while supplies last and online. Any beauty junkie knows that dropping $250 is pretty easy to do, but to get the most bang for your buck, I recommend checking out these products:
Here’s what comes in the gift with purchase:
· Space NK Tote Bag
· Lipstick Queen Sinner Pinky Nude Lipstick (full size) – This is SO GREAT. A perfect nude.
· Rococo Nail Apparel Brocade Crème (full size)
· African Botanics Pure Marula Oil (17 ml)
· Antica Farmacista Prosecco Room Fragrance (25 ml)
· Bumble and Bumble Texture Hair (Un) Dressing Crème (15 ml)
· By Terry Cellularose Brightening Serum (4 ml)
· Caudalie Vinoperfect Serum (10 ml)
· Clark’s Botanicals Deep Moisture Mask (15 ml)
· Darphin Azahar Cleansing Micellar Water (50 ml)
· DevaCurl 3-Step Introductory Kit (1 fl.oz No-Poo, One Condition & Light Defining Gel)
· Diptyque Volutes Solid Perfume (.14 oz)
· Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic Acid + Retinol Brightening Solution (.25 fl.oz)
· Goldfaden MD Doctor’s Scrub (3.75 g)
· Hampton Sun After Sun Moisturizer (2 fl.oz)
· Hourglass Film Noir Mascara (.15 oz)
· Natura Bissé Oxygen Gel (10 ml)
· Oribe Côte d’Azur Hair Refresher (65 ml)
· Philip B Light-Weight Deep Conditioning Crème Rinse (15 ml) or Russian Amber Shampoo (15 ml)
· Radical Skincare Youth Infusion Serum (8 ml)
· Rahua Conditioner (60 ml)
· Ren Hydra-Calm Global Protection Day Cream (15 ml)
· Rodial Bee Venom Moisturizer (5 ml)
· Serge Normant Meta Silk Shampoo (60 ml)
· Serge Normant Meta Velour Conditioner (60 ml)
· Sunday Riley Good Genes Treatment (10 ml)
· Tata Harper Rejuvenating Serum (15 ml)
· Wei Gingko Leaf Repairing Décolletage Treatment Pad (single use)
· Zelens Transformer Instant Renewal Mask (5 ml single use)
Space.NK is one of my all time favorite beauty stores. You can often find me in the flagship location on Greene Street, casually browsing brands like Ellis Faas, Lipstick Queen, Eve Lom, Tata Harper, Diptyque, and NARS. The staff is well-trained, knowledgeable, and patient – you won’t find the hard sell here – which is why I never feel uncomfortable or rushed while shopping, a stark contrast to some of the large department stores uptown.
On February 20th, Space.NK is hosting a one day only event, “A Master Class In Spring Beauty” at all 22 of their locations. Experts from top brands will be offering personalized classes, makeovers, advice, and tips, plus with any purchase of $250 or more, shoppers will receive an amazing gift with purchase (GWP) filled with 25 deluxe, travel, and full size items. The GWP is also available to online shoppers, exclusively on February 20th.
The gift bag (over $325 value) includes:
• Limited Edition Space NK Tote Bag (not available at retail)
• Lipstick Queen Saint Coral Lipstick (full-size)
• Rodial Glam Balm Lip (full-size)
• Beautannia Brideshead Bath & Shower Gel (100ml)
• Diptyque Opopanax Mini Candle (35g)
• Life NK Jump Start Body Lotion (50ml)
• Oribe Superfine Hair Spray (Purse-size 75ml)
• Radical Skincare Age-Defying Exfoliating Pads (15-pads)
• Philip B Lovin’ Leave In Conditioner (15ml)
• Caudalie Cleansing Water (50ml)
• Clark’s Botanicals Smoothing Marine Cream (15ml)
• Hourglass Cosmetics Veil Mineral Primer (5ml)
• By Terry Crème de Rose (4ml)
• Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Conditioner (2oz)
• Ren Micro Polish Cleanser (15ml)
• Bumble & Bumble Thickening Hairspray (1oz)
• African Botanics Marula Oil (17ml)
• Zelens Transformer Instant Renewal Mask (5ml single-use)
• Elemental Herbology Perfect Balance Facial Moisturizer (5ml)
• Antica Farmacista Room Spray in Pomegranate, Currant & Blood Orange (25ml)
• Darphin Wrinkle Corrective Eye Contour Cream (5ml)
• Goldfaden MD Needle-Less Line Smoothing Concentrate (5ml)
• NIA24 Sun Damage Prevention 100% Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 (10ml)
• Sunday Riley Juno Body Transformative Lipid Serum (5ml)
• Sarah Chapman Skinesis Neck and Chest Rejuvenating Complex (10ml, LAUNCHING SUMMER 2013)
And because this GWP is all about spring beauty looks, I have a few suggestions to help you reach that $250:
If you’re curious about a brand that Space.NK carries or your beauty shopping list is getting long, this is totally the time to buy. Don’t forget that this special is only available on February 20th. Call your local Space.NK store now or do a little pre-shopping online. If you pick this GWP up, LMK what you bought in the comments below!
As New York has been getting cooler and the air is somewhat dryer, you might think that my skin would calm down, but that would be wrong. It’s been freaking out (which could have more to do with my diet than the weather), but I’ve been desperate to get it to calm down. I’ve also noticed that as I’ve gotten closer to turning 30, my skin has gotten less oily and my hair is also becoming dryer, which means I can use more fun products like serums and leave in conditioners. All of these issues lead me to this week’s Beautiful Five – my five favorite products of the past week.
NARS Lip Gloss in Angelika
I’ve tried A LOT of lip glosses in my day. What I love about the NARS glosses, and in particular this color, is that the formula is super smooth. It’s not sticky or tacky and it almost feels like a balm. Angelika is a great Barbie pink shade with a hint of creaminess. It’s great to perk up your look in the daytime and goes well with a grey smokey eye (a fall favorite).
Sephora Daily Brush Cleaner
We all know how important it is to clean your brushes on a regular basis, but if you use the same brushes daily, it’s great to not only sanitize them but also to remove yesterday’s shades so you can start fresh today. Especially great for gel eyeliner and blush brushes.
Tata Harper Rejuvinating Serum
The first thing I always rave about when it comes to Tata Harper products is the smell. Made from all natural ingredients, the products smell just like the ingredients – no fragrance added. The scent is so lovely, and rumor has it Anna Wintour smells like it when you smell her. Aside from the smell, the products are crazy effective. The Rejuvinating Serum is a collagen treatment with hyaluronic acid, which helps your skin retain maximum moisture levels. It leaves my skin soft and smooth even on days when I’m having texture issues.
Dr. Jart+ Black Label Detox O2 Cleansing Foam
It’s been a long time since I’ve loved a cleanser as much as this one (and I’ve been promiscuous with my cleansers recently). I get that super clean sensation without my skin feeling dry and my skin looks brighter. I’ve been using it at night to take my makeup off and it loosens even my Revlon Colorstay foundation. I’m in serious love.
TRESemme Split Remedy Leave-In Split End Conditioning Treatment
Since my hair has finally decided to move on from the oil slick it once was, I’m paying super attention to how my ends look. When I get out of the shower, I run a pump (or two) through my ends and style as normal. It has made a big difference in how my hair moves and how the ends feel but doesn’t weigh my fine hair down.
Backstage at Porter Grey with Tata Harper. The models are being prepped with the Hydrating Floral Essence, the Rejuvenating Serum, the Rebuilding Moisturizer and the Replenishing Nutrient Complex. The goal is to make the model’s skin healthy and glowy.
To keep the models calm, they’re also using the Aromatic Stress Treatment. After all, we can’t be stressed out – the first show hasn’t started yet!
Amala Room And Linen Mist
$24.00 at Anthropologie
At a recent Amala press event, it was fascinating to learn all about the brand’s commitment to using natural, organic ingredients, sourced from farms all around the world. The brand really believes that organic ingredients perform better than chemicals and other synthetic ingredients, an opinion that many disagree with. During the course of the event, we had an opportunity to touch, smell and try many of the products, but one product couldn’t get out my head – the Refresh Peppermint Room & Linen Mist.
It’s been years since I’ve owned a proper linen mist. The last I vaguely remember picking up at a TJ Maxx and never finishing the giant bottle. After my recent obsession with Tata Harper’s Aromatherapy Treatments, I’ve become a believer in the power of natural aromatherapy products. I was eager to run home & mist the spray all over my pillows. I wasn’t prepared for what happened next.
I hadn’t been sleeping well lately, especially since I have been a bit under the weather. I carefully sprayed the mist across all the pillows on my bed, so not matter where I rolled and turned, I’d be snuggled amongst the fragrance of the peppermint, spearmint and lavender oils. After laying my head on the pillow and taking a few deep breaths, I fell instantly to sleep. Not only did I sleep solidly through the night, I had dreams for the first time in at least six months. As I gathered myself to begin the day, I felt energized to face the day.
Is it all due to the spray? Maybe, maybe not. But what I do know is that I won’t ever be without the spray on my bedside table again.
WHAT: An oasis of pampering in the midst of Fashion’s Night Out. Channel your inner supermodel without spending a dime.
WHY: Get a jump start on the season’s hottest trends: sleek hair, glowing skin, deep plum nails and celebrate Fashion Week in smokin’ hot style. Complimentary Services offered include:
• Luxurious mini facials with Women’s Health Advocate and Natural skincare expert, Tata Harper
• Sleek updo’s
• Bohemian Chic curls
• Mini-manicures and polish changes
• Aromatherapy sessions utilizing clinical grade essential oils
• Cocktails and Espresso shots
• Tea from H.wood Tea
• Gift Bags (while supplies last)
• Guest DJ
• VIP access to the after party at GOLDBAR NYC
WHO: Maria Bonita Salon & Spa in collaboration with Tata Harper Skincare, Bio Supplements and H.wood Tea
WHERE: Maria Bonita Salon & Spa 12 Prince Street (between Bowery and Elizabeth) September 10th, 2010 7:00 – 11:00 pm
Limit one service per person, reservations are recommended, email@example.com.