I know that Serial blew the doors off podcasting, but podcasts have existed for many years prior to Sarah Koenig’s incredible journalism. My favorite podcast back in the day (circa 2009-2010) were personality driven, like the frequently missed Rumor Girls (RIP). These days, I am focusing on shows that will help me achieve my goals of furthering my own personal and business development. Make no mistake, I still want to laugh, so I listen to a few entertaining shows as well. There’s no better time than the heart of winter to share the five great podcasts currently rocking my world:
- Magic Lessons with Elizabeth Gilbert: I can’t stop talking about how much Elizabeth Gilbert, her podcast Magic Lessons, and her book Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear is changing my life. My friend Kristin first tipped me off to the podcast by recommending episode 8, but I’ve been listening to episode 12 on repeat. If you have creative passion in your life, read the book, listen to the podcast, and wear a hat to keep your head from exploding.
- The Vogue Podcast: Fashion (and beauty) is so visual that I’ve often wondered if it would be possible for a style podcast to find success. Leave it to Vogue to prove me wrong. The first episode launched in September with Andre Leon Talley as host. Each episode covers topics from the current issue of the magazine, as well as interviews with cover stars, editors, celebrities, and designers. The most recent episode had a hiccup in quality, with interviews between ALT and Ben Stiller being recorded via phone, but I remain hopeful that it will become a resourced priority for the magazine.
- The Social Authority Podcast: My love of this podcast might be a bit biased, but I’m proud to call the host, Amy Schmittauer, a friend. Her ability to speak about social media marketing in a clear, approachable, and actionable way is incomparable. If you’re a business owner, marketer, or blogger, her straightforward advice will help take your pursuits to the next level. Check out the interview I did with Amy in episode 30!
- RuPaul What’s The Tee? with Michelle Visage: I have an ocean’s worth of respect for RuPaul. He’s a trailblazer, a consummate professional, and an icon. What’s The Tee is a wonderful mix of a morning radio show infused with pop culture, RuPaul’s Drag Race, and motivational life advice. As co-host, Michelle Visage adds color and humor, creating a dynamic duo that’s a joy to listen to. If you love Ru, Drag Race, drag queens, or any combination of the three, this show is a great addition to any podcast mix.
- The Lede: I have enjoyed countless episodes of The Lede, a podcast by Copyblogger, but I make this recommendation with hesitation. The show focuses on helpful, data-driven content marketing advice, but it recently switched formats. They not only moved from two hosts to one, but changed the pacing of the show with a new, softer spoken host. I’m hoping that I can get past my initial reaction to the change because I’ve found some of the tips, advice, insights, and interviews on the show so valuable.
Do you love podcasts too? Tell me in the comments below what has been lighting up your earbuds lately. I can always use a new show!